Saturday, July 6, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: Footings for Papercrete



Yes, I do have a lot of tires laying around.
I agree with your vision of papercrete inside tires.
 
I had been considering just a dirt floor with a standard shipping pallet to set the batteries, charge controller and inverter on.
I guess I will just get to use 24 to 30 tires with wheels on this project.
I have 16 inches of top soil to remove then eight inches of a heavy clay / sand mix.
Below that is white beach sand as far as I have ever dug down which is nine feet.
I was burying a well love dog.
I want that well draining soil below my tires and the wide print of the tires should keep it stable.
 
I just had a picture pop into my head.
If I remove all of that soil from the whole shed area then stack in the tires and cut down a couple of my huge 250 pound pallets they could be the floor. Just keep them to the inside of the tires and the papercrete walls would be outside the floor pallet right on top of the tires. Throw a couple pieces of OSB down on the pallets and I would have a great floor.
 
If I got really wild I could stack 120 tires down there and have a basement under the shed.
That would fill with water and drain away in that sand,,,,,
hum,,,,,,,,, maybe seal the basement tire walls with some of those pieces of heavy duty banner fabric I have,,,,,, I could tuck the top of the fabric into the papercrete walls about four inches,,,,,
The heavy clay / sand soil that I would remove I could put on top around the shed to encourage water to run away from the building.
This might be worth doing just to have a better place to put so many tires.
A trap door in the floor would let me check things out down there.
 
I am well known for doing things others feel can't be done.
Alan in Michigan

From: JayH <slurryguy@yahoo.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:01 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Footings for Papercrete

I simply don't envision an advantage of filling tires with papercrete, no matter how cement heavy.  Not to mention that it would be extremely difficult to fill a tire completely with papercrete without significant air gaps inside the top sidewall.

Tires filled with papercrete would make it very difficult for the papercrete to dry inside the tire.  Then, after the papercrete shrinks, the tire will have voids and become bouncy.  Not exactly desirable for a stable structure.

For a floor, I simply don't see the point of using tires at all.  If you have built a good footing and a solid stemwall that is anchored in place with rebar or other scrap steel, you can fill inside the stemwall with loose gravel or roadbase and tamp it solid. 

Using tires with the wheels or rims still in place makes even less sense to me.  I don't understand where you are going with that idea at all.

All of that said... it's your shed.  Build it how you want.  Maybe you have a new idea that will surprise everyone.  Trying an experiment on a small structure is a low risk proposition.  If it doesn't work, it's not that big of a deal. 


Using tires filled with tamped gravel can make a decent foundation if one chooses to go that direction, but I wouldn't use them for more than a stem wall on top of a rubble trench footing. 

Sounds like you have a big supply of used tires you want to get rid of.  They can be a great resource if you are in your twenties and have lots of extra energy, big muscles, a strong back, and a lot of cute girls watching that you can show off for.  And many months and lots of friends to help do the work.


Are you nuts?

Well, you do realize that being a little nutz is important to successful DIY building.  It's pretty much a requirement.  You have to be nutzy enough to start the project and see it through to the finish.  Sanity usually is not helpful in that process.  I'm living proof of that concept.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Alan <rustaholic777@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings folks,
> For a shed I am considering building I am wondering about using tires with wheels at least for two rows then on top of them use bare tires filled with a cement heavy papercrete.
> The walls will go our far enough to cover the papercrete.
>
> For the floor inside the shed tires filled with papercrete with more papercrete between the tires.
> In the shed will be a few garden tools but the main reason for the shed is a place to hang a solar panel and several batteries inside with an inverter for the electric fence I will need around the 1 1/2 acre field.
> Am I nuts?
> I could just build the shed on top of a couple of my huge pallets but if it will work I would rather use the tires.
>
> Alan in Michigan
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
    papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___