Tuesday, February 19, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete for modelling/sculpting.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

First off, this isn't waxy cardboard, but it does contain a bit of
vegetable pigment from the outer printing. As I'm only doing small
test batches at the moment, I prepare the cardboard by tearing it up
and soaking in water, and in spare time rub it through with the hands.
After a couple of days of doing this and allowing it to dry through
the process it ends up practically paper fluff. This is then stored as
is until needed. When I want to make a batch, this fluff when added to
water pulps very quickly with the aid of an electric beater. We used
to use a similar process to make homemade paper.

Anyway, it does sound to me as if there maybe too much water in the
mix. I'll try the newsprint experiment and see what happens. I don't
think there are any weird chemicals in the cardboard since I've used
it as a food in my worm farm without any consequences.

I thought about adding lime. How much should be used, and does the
amount depend more on the quantity of cement than paper, or on the
total bulk?

My neighbor who works at the pipe factory is checking out what
additives they use as well. And I'm interested in adding a small
amount of calcium chloride to see what effect it has for papercrete.


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/