Sunday, January 20, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: I had a dream ... but help need help off established papercreters

That was 1,546# for a cubic yard, not a cubic foot! That's more like 57#
per cubic foot.

Domes are aerodynamic and wind flows around and over them so the wind
resistance is low. However, enough wind will move almost anything. When
I was first assembling the frame for my big dome, the frame was sitting
on a slab but not yet bolted to the slab. One night we got high winds
and in the morning found that the frame (no covering) had moved several
feet. A few months later when the March winds came around, one morning I
found my top pent 120' away from the dome, though it was screwed down.
It had a thin coating of papercrete that turned it into a great airfoil.
Photos at
http://starship-enterprises.net/domes/domehouse/march%202002.html a bit
past 1/2 way down the page. When it was put back in place we gave extra
care to straps and screws.

Once your dome is secured to the foundation and covered completely then
you should have no problems. Winds here above 80mph are not rare, and I
have had no problems with completed domes from the wind. I don't put
dirt in my papercrete and end up with about 20# per cubic foot final
weight. I aim for 1 foot thick, I want better than the approximately R18
you would get with 6" thick papercrete. Secure the dome well and don't
leave any openings or projections for wind to get a grip and you'll be fine.

spaceman

On 1/19/2013 7:56 PM, liberty1_27606 wrote:
> With a cubic foot weighing 1546#, if you make the walls 6" thick or more, it should not float away. I think I want to make my walls a foot or more to get enough insulation, so I don't think it is a problem.
>
> Bobby



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/