Sunday, January 20, 2013

[papercreters] Re: I had a dream ... but help need help off established papercreters

Spaceman,

You are correct. It is 57 pounds per cubic foot.

Thanks for the correction.

Bobby

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, spaceman wrote:
>
> That was 1,546# for a cubic yard, not a cubic foot! That's more like 57#
> per cubic foot.
>
> Domes are aerodynamic and wind flows around and over them so the wind
> resistance is low. However, enough wind will move almost anything. When
> I was first assembling the frame for my big dome, the frame was sitting
> on a slab but not yet bolted to the slab. One night we got high winds
> and in the morning found that the frame (no covering) had moved several
> feet. A few months later when the March winds came around, one morning I
> found my top pent 120' away from the dome, though it was screwed down.
> It had a thin coating of papercrete that turned it into a great airfoil.
> Photos at
> http://starship-enterprises.net/domes/domehouse/march%202002.html a bit
> past 1/2 way down the page. When it was put back in place we gave extra
> care to straps and screws.
>
> Once your dome is secured to the foundation and covered completely then
> you should have no problems. Winds here above 80mph are not rare, and I
> have had no problems with completed domes from the wind. I don't put
> dirt in my papercrete and end up with about 20# per cubic foot final
> weight. I aim for 1 foot thick, I want better than the approximately R18
> you would get with 6" thick papercrete. Secure the dome well and don't
> leave any openings or projections for wind to get a grip and you'll be fine.
>
> spaceman
>
> On 1/19/2013 7:56 PM, liberty1_27606 wrote:
> > With a cubic foot weighing 1546#, if you make the walls 6" thick or more, it should not float away. I think I want to make my walls a foot or more to get enough insulation, so I don't think it is a problem.
> >
> > Bobby
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/