Friday, April 29, 2011

RE: [papercreters] Re: Everybody working hard?



I envy you for your shredded paper. I usually use cardboard as it is the easiest for me to get, but it is more work because it has to be soaked first. I did get a good amount of shredded paper from the local high school and the courthouse. I used it in my papercrete plaster and it worked out very well. I will save the rest of it for special things and use cardboard for floors and exterior plaster.

Regarding your getting started with papercrete I say just do it! I haven't used a power washer myself but would certainly try it if I had one. Spaceman knows all about them and is happy to share info. If you can't get the washer then try a 5 gallon bucket and a mixing paddle on a drill (not a cordless though. They are not powerful enough). If you are using shredded paper and you let it soak in water for a while it will mix very easily no matter what method you use. If you are able to hook up with someone who has access to a large mixer you can mix up all of your paper with water (no cement added), pour it into forms and take smaller quantities later to mix with cement. That's what I am doing for my plaster. That way I am not obligated to use an entire mixer load at one time.

Do I remember correctly that some have used a cement mixer or mortar mixer when using shredded paper? Or was that for use with hammer milled paper, like that cellulose insulation you can buy?

"There are none happy in the world but being who enjoy freely a vast horizon." Damodora

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith





To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: normmyers@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:20:13 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Everybody working hard?

 

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Joy Pickens <lilyklink@...> wrote:
>
> I have been collecting up BIG bags of shredded paper form the local
> college...and thinking about PAPERCRETING. I have never done it before. How do I
> push myself over the edge and actually START???!! I am thinkingĂ‚ I will borrow my
> son's power washer...
>
> I wish I had a nearby friend who was interested in the same (crazy) stuff that I
> am interested in. I feel like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole!!
>
> Joy in OK

Joy,
Where are you in Oklahoma? I'm in Tecumseh and am hoping to get started in mid May. Already have a large stash of cardboard, newspaper, and shredded paper. I'm hoping to complete a large well house and 3 or 4 dog shelters this year.

Norman




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___