Thursday, March 24, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Looking for a new place to call home. - PC Shrinkage



I'm living in a small dome covered with pc. I first attached 3" thick pc panels to the frame, sealing the seams with pc. Now I'm in the midst of slip forming a 12"+ thick shell on the outside. It has been slow because I have too many things to distract me, but I'm up about seven feet all around so far. Papercrete does shrink, but it does so in all directions. The outside gets smaller, the inside gets larger, as the thickness lessens. I have had no cracking problems on this project, and can't even see seams between the different pour layers. Even pouring on top of a wall that has been untouched for months, there is no visible seam.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net

On 3/24/2011 9:58 AM, timoteoharvey wrote:
When you put 10 inches of papercrete on the outside of a dome, is there significant shrinkage? I understand that the more sand you put in, the less it will shrink. Does it crack? Does it pull down nice and snug? I'm planning to do a ferrocement dome with papercrete insulation on the outside and I'm curious if it will work. Where we're building, there are no building codes.  Tim Harvey



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___