Wednesday, March 2, 2011

[papercreters] Re: Hi Judith - papercrete

My first question to Erma would be how much water did she put into the
mix. When I use the same ratio's as she did I use a specific way of
mixing it all together. I first add my water to the paper (and it does
not make any difference how much water) and pulp the paper, then dip and
drain the pulp until it is just wet enough to mix the cement first
(until it is all mixed into the paper pulp and you can't see the paper
anymore, just cement covered pulp) then I add the clay or sand to that
mixture, and once it is all mixed well and is all one color (doesn't
make any difference what the color is) I them pack it into my molds or
my forms and if the temperture is right it will be hard enough the next
morning to remove the molds or forms, but if there is any doubt about
the firmness, let it set until you see it pulling loose from the mold or
forms on its own.

Bob
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> Wow Erma, what an ego boost right at the start of the day! I will take
some time later and do some research on using papercrete for sculptures.
Are you aware of the papercreters group on Yahoo? I will cc them with
this so you'll have the address. We had a fun little competition a
couple of years ago and some people did the most creative things with
papercrete. I believe there are quite a few pictures on the Yahoo site.
There is also an archive of formulas and recipes for different
applications. I'm on my way out to my project now to finish a little
banco (sort of a bench that extends from the fireplace) and extend the
hearth so I can get going on the floor. As I say, I'll get back to you
later with whatever I find that may help you.
>
> They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
>
> ~ in Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Benjamin Franklin
>
> Follow progress on the new project at
http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> From: smile.l.e@...
> To: williams_judith@...
> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:43:13 -0600
> Subject: Hi Judith - papercrete
>
> Your videos are so informative and helpful. You are great, especially
for those of us who are a little "older" with an independent spirit that
want to do things on our own, whether it is optional or not. Your
attitude is great and I admire you.
> I am only interested, at this point, in making planters - want to
start small - the shed will come next - the house? Well.....I live in
Canada and it might not survive the chronic wet conditions of our
climate. But my first few attempts at making planters and ornamental
mushrooms was a dismal failure. I used 1 part cement, 6 parts paper and
1-2 parts sand. I just tried it between 2 cardboard boxes and although
the boxes swelled and curved, I rather like that. After 40 hours I tried
to peel off the cardboard and the whole thing broke apart. I tried it a
second time and one wall came loose. I am gentle but discouraged. Have
you any suggestions. I have been up and down google but haven't found
anyone with that problem. If you are building houses !!! how can I be
having such problems with 2'x4' planter boxes???
> I hope you can shed some light on this mystery. Your work looks
perfect, easy and cheap, using up all that paper.
> Keep up the good work.
> Erma
>
> If you require a speedy reply to your email, please phone instead of
waiting for an email response.
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/