Thursday, November 8, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Long Sad Story

Thanks, I can use all the help I can get, even good wishes : )


Spaceman

All opinions expressed or implied
are subject to change without notice
upon receipt of new facts.

ElfNori wrote:
> That's definately a string of not fortuitous events. I'm rooting for
> you . . .
>
> ElfN
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* Spaceman <mailto:Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
> *To:* papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:20 PM
> *Subject:* [papercreters] Long Sad Story
>
> I've had an interesting chain of events here lately that have halted
> the current project for a couple of weeks. First my blade snapped,
> the one I'd been using for six years. I replaced that with a new X
> blade that mixed one load and then came off, stripping bolts as it
> came loose. New bolts and some cleaning of threads on the yoke got
> the blade back on, and back to mixing.
>
> A few loads later I heard a grinding noise and found that the welds
> holding the drive shaft to the truck wheel had failed (six years
> old, too) or more accurately the metal next to the welds had
> cracked. Looking it over, I reinforced my original thought that the
> truck wheel was pretty thin metal, and decided I needed to make an
> adapter from the shaft to the truck axle. I made a few measurements
> and then did a sketch of the bolt patterns in CAD, making a pattern
> with their relative positions precisely laid out so that the
> universal joint bolts had the maximum clearance from the lug bolts
> and everything was nicely centered. I didn't have a chunk of plate
> steel large enough, but found two smaller pieces that could be
> welded together. Once I had those joined, I applied the pattern and
> center punched the holes. Shortly after, I found out why that drill
> bit set was so inexpensive. I destroyed several bits getting the
> pilot holes done, and ran out of suitable bits before I finished the
> full diameter of the holes. I made the round of local hardware
> stores (MV Ferreteria and Señor Dollar), but neither had large bits
> and it was getting late in the day, so I decided to make a trip to
> town on the morrow.
>
> At the Home Depot I found what I needed, and actually found some
> 7/16 hard bolts to fit the universal joint, along with various
> washers and nuts, including lock washers. I cut the heads off the
> bolts and welded them into the appropriate holes in the plate
> because the back of the adapter has to be flat with no bolt heads
> sticking out. With the adapter finished, I found that the truck was
> now 1" too far from the mixer since the adapter is thinner than the
> wheel where it mounts. The truck has been on blocks for six years,
> and moving it was not a trivial matter, but I got it done. Back to
> mixing.
>
> Then I noticed a strange noise from the rear of the truck, and
> panicked. Had I managed to ruin the axle bearing? No, turns out that
> the brake drum was not held in place by the adapter plate as it was
> by the wheel and it was flopping around, so a stack of washers was
> needed on each lug bolt to secure the brake drum. OK, back to
> mixing. Wait! Why isn't the slurry moving? Well, because the blade
> has come off again, in spite of really putting torque on the bolts
> last week. Now I have one bent bolt, and one partially stripped
> bolt. It'll be dark in an hour, so I'll wait until tomorrow to go to
> town, since I have to go tomorrow anyway for something else. I now
> declare it beer thirty, I'm done for today.
>
>
> Spaceman
>
> All opinions expressed or implied
> are subject to change without notice
> upon receipt of new facts.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.23/1114 - Release Date:
> 11/6/2007 8:05 PM
>
>


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/