Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Re: [papercreters] Re: Is Spaceman the administrator?



Hi all,

As groups.io are not accepting new requests to "port" yahoo groups to their platform anymore and Yahoo are deliberately making data extraction difficult, I've taken the liberty of downloading almost everything for the group that is on Yahoo. Some messages were unretrievable, I think due to errors on the server(s).

I haven't yet had time to disentangle the message archive from Yahoo's proprietary storage system as I'm also grabbing several other groups before Y! hit the big red switch,, however I have uploaded the archive to https://filedn.com/lt4cu6M6VUgY7dnSwTwww5j/ where anyone who wants it is quite welcome to grab a copy.


Regards,

Blake


On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 11:11, JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith@hotmail.com [papercreters] <papercreters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

We lost track of slurryguy even when the group was still active. We have not been able to find him. I am not sure of the chronology of the group(s). The other person I remember who was very involved was Charmaine Taylor but I have not heard from her in years.


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com <papercreters@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of KIm Travis gartht@windstream.net [papercreters] <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:28:37 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Is Spaceman the administrator?
 
 

No, the original pappercrete group may have started as an egroup, then was bought out by yahoo.  It died down, then was resurected by hacking to become this papercrete group. I know, I have been around since the beginning, but I have not been an admin.  I have a bunch of other groups, one that started as an egroup as well.  The Houston Renewable Energy Group is that old too.  But it has basically moved to facebook so I won't be working to save it.

Kim Travis, aka Airdriel in the old days.

On 12/10/2019 4:23 PM, ken winston caine ken.winston.caine@gmail.com [papercreters] wrote:
 
Thank you, Judith.

So it looks like we need to find Slurry Guy and see if he's intetested in exporting the files and posts to groups.io or in letting someone else attempt an export.

Am confused as to the statement that this is the "old group." Is there a new group that already imported this group's data and which is the one we REALLY should be trying to save the data from?

I am on daily digest for this group and Yahoo appears already to have turned off my ability to change that. So it's a little difficult for me to catch replies quickly. (I'm looking in on the web interface periodically to see if there are replies.)





On Tue, Dec 10, 2019, 1:11 PM ken winston caine <ken.winston.caine@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone know how to reach him quickly?

If he's not interested in exporting the data (uploaded files, posts, etc.) from the group in the next couple days (before Dec. 14 when it all disappears), and wants me to, I can devote a FEW hours to it if he grants me admin access.

If he says OK, go, first I'll check out io's requirements for importing everything. And cost -- if any. If it's free and something I can set up in a few hours, I'll do that. If not, I'll access Yahoo Groups export tool and export everything to a hard drive from which it later can -- hopefully -- be transferred to another home. I have very few hours I can devote to this this week. The sooner you can let me know, the better.

Can anyone help by contacting Spaceman and finding out his interest in this?

Thanks.

k. winston caine



__._,_.___

Posted by: Blake Robertson <blake@connectra.com.au>



__,_._,___