Friday, January 28, 2011

[papercreters] Updates please?



I'm pet sitting and feeling a bit cabin feverish so am going through all old group emails that I have saved for various reasons. These go back about 2 or 3 years - whenever this group got started.

Anyway, a lot of people wrote about interesting and exciting projects they were planning and starting. I would love to see some updates. How about it?

I haven't been doing any mixing in the cold weather but have managed to get some windows installed and am trying to set up a small crew to help with installing the doors. Wnen I get home next week I am going to get started on my interior plaster. The walls came out pretty irregular (even with the slip forming. I am learning the importance of getting those forms just right) so they need to be smoothed out with a papercrete plaster. If I remember correctly I used a mix of 1/2 paper and water slurry and 1/2 clay soil. What I've done looks pretty good so far. One thing I'm doing that seems to help is to make batches of papercrete without the cement - just paper and water. I pour it into the block mold  and let it dry. Then when I want to make a batch of plaster I take some of the dry paper stuff, break it into a 5 gallon bucket, add water and clay soil and mix it with thed rill and paddle mixer. This way I have it in small amounts and don't feel the pressure of having to use up a huge amount of material. This is just for the scratch and brown. The finish plaster will be something smooth and lovely.

So anyway to those who have projects going or have some finished ones I would love to see what you have accomplished. Pretty soon we'll be back in the good weather and there will be less time for writing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ in Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Benjamin Franklin

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___