Tuesday, January 18, 2011

[papercreters] Stacking PC blocks wet

I'd like to run this by some of you more experienced builders, Judith, Spaceman, perhaps. I have a lot of blocks made and I'm going to start building in a couple of months.I need to make a lot more and rather than spending a lot of time moving and turning and handling them I thought perhaps I could stack them with PC mortar in the joints after they had lost the initial moisture and were stable enough to handle. They would still not be completely dry or even close to that state so they might shrink some. The blocks I make are made with cardboard and clay and the way I pack it into the forms they don't shrink much. I would use newspaper for the mortar mix as it breaks down into much smaller pieces than the heavy cardboard. The slip formed mix seems to bond together well and I thought this method would perhaps act in the same manner. Any thoughts on this? I like the looks of the blocks vs. slip formed walls as I'm not going to plaster the exterior. What little rain I get here is absorbed into the blocks but drys out in a day or two so I don't feel that is a problem.

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/