Saturday, September 17, 2011

[papercreters] Re: Update on newsprint source

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> Ken, I didn't know you were in Santa Fe. I virtually built my first project with papers that i got out behind the New Mexican pringint plant on the frontage road. When a reporter wanted to interview me I told him I where I had gotten the paper. He told the guy in charge of the plant who emailed me and told me to stop taking the papers. I went and asked permission and was denied so I just kept getting papers from the bins out back until they put locks on them.
>

Didn't get by there to visit with the press and circulation folks yesterday. Probably Monday. But from your experience, this doesn't seem promising now.

> What are you working on?
>
Trying to get a little lean-to together for winter but everything is taking about five times as long as I expected. Still doing site prep and equipment building and material gathering.

Am going to document my project as I go along on YouTube and a blog.

Intention is to get one pod up before it gets too cold to work with papercrete. This will be a multi-pod project. And, eventually I hope have a beautiful aesthetic and ambiance. But at first, it's going to be a construction zone / work in progress.



>
>
> Years ago I talked to The EL Paso Times about their waste paper. At
> first it was hard to get any information, but after working my way
> through several people I was finally told that all their paper goes
> to a major recycler who transports it to MX. I tried to get more
> information to see if maybe I could get some from that recycler, but
> the person refused to give me any more information. I hope you have
> better success in Santa Fe.
>
Thanks.
>
>A few times I bought several tons from them, and the
> quality varied a lot. It was mostly shredded office paper, but more
> than once I found broken beer bottles and various trash in the
> middle of the bales.
>
I wonder how good that "separating machine" is that Santa Fe County now uses? Bet it leaves a beer bottle or two in at least every ton or two of paper.

> The best bet is a large
> building that houses several offices and has central trash
> collection.
>
Very good tip. Thanks, Spaceman.

I DO have access to huge quantities of cardboard, but my understanding is that cardboard -- besides being honeycombed and taking up lots of space for its weight -- is harder to pulp and presents some other issues, too. Is there a general recommendation against cardboard amongst experienced papercreters?

Best,
ken

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/