Thursday, September 8, 2011

[papercreters] Re: Mixer Design

Have been trying to locate a good, inexpensive source for those totes. They are what bulk corn syrup and bulk invert sugar and bulk maple syrup are shipped in to processed-food manufacturers and large-scale candy manufacturers (like Brachs, Stovers, Kraft, etc).

In the east and midwest -- where it appears most of the major candy manufacturers are located -- people report getting the totes for free (as discards) from factories for the asking and I find Craig's List ads back there where people are selling them for $50.

I was able to purchase one here (Santa Fe, New Mexico region) from a private party for $100 and so far have not found an industrial source for them. Would like to get three or four more -- for $50 each or less.

Anyone have any ideas?

And quick update on my own tow-behind mixer plans.

I bought a pickup-truck bed trailer and will be using the rear end and frame and trailer tongue from that for mine. MAY be using some of the pickup truck bed metal, too, for the platform.

Probably won't be building it for about two weeks as I just learned that my local dump transfer station is closing in a week for 60 days for reconstruction. And.... that is from where I was hoping to pull 5 tons of newsprint -- if the manager there is still game to let me. (She was a couple years ago.) So right now, I've shifted priorities to getting my flatbed trailer together to haul newsprint and seeing how much is available to pull from the transfer station before it closes.

For my tow mixer I MAY use one of the cube totes like Doris and Ron did. Or I may find a used usable round stock tank before I get to the building task.

Still not certain how I will attach the truck rear-end to the frame once I remove the leaf springs, but have some ideas.

-- ken

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, michael joyce <mojojoyce@...> wrote:
>
> I am wondering about the same thing as far as I thought I saw a square plastic tank with the metal cage 275 gallon as a mixer.  This is by far  the cheapest tank that I can get around here. Michael
>
> --- On Tue, 8/23/11, Doris Burton <yakishome@...> wrote:
>
> From: Doris Burton <yakishome@...>
> Subject: Re: [papercreters] Mixer Design
> To: "papercreters@yahoogroups.com" <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
> Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 9:34 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> We mixed many batches and never seemed to have had any left in the cube, all paper mixed to an even consistency We did our entire project with it and never had any problems. Oh and it was not a small project.
> Doris
>
>
>
>
> From: Spaceman <Spaceman@...>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Sent:
> Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:13 PM
> Subject: [papercreters] Mixer Design
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I have been having an interesting discussion off list with Ken about
> mixer design.
>
>
>
> I remember someone mentioning a while back that they intended to use
> a pickup bed as the tank for a mixer, and in our discussion the
> question of possible problems with paper collecting in the corners
> came up. Has anyone actually made a mixer with a pickup bed as the
> tank? If so, please enlighten us.
>
>
>
> Also, Doris, your mixer is a cube. Any problems along those lines?
> Being cubical and smooth plastic I would think it might be better
> than a shallow bed, but I have been wrong many times in my life  : )
>
> --
> spaceman
>
> All opinions expressed or implied
> are subject to change without notice
> upon receipt of new information.
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/