Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Water permeable paint for papercrete.



I was just thinking that, Clarissa! As I drove in my car after reading Brandons' post I thought I wonder if a plant based material could be added to a paint like the milk paint. I dye my curtains with tea. As I was harvesting plantain last week and sorting the seeds out my fingers became a very dark brown that did not wear away very fast. Now you would have to harvest a whole lot of plantain.....! But the thought is a good one and one that can be improved upon. (plantain is a common plant that some people call weeds). To use this with whitewash or milk paint you would of course have to add a bunch or you would wind up with tan paint.


Here is a natural paint made with flour but I have no idea if it would let the water in....I think I will try it and see what I get

http://www.ehow.com/how_4796061_own-natural-paint.html

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM, cloud wall <windwalkerwill@yahoo.com> wrote:
 



What about some naturally occurring, plant~based stain? We have black walnuts here and, although they are a royal pain in the butt to work with, make a nice stain that is not water proof. Very labor intensive but free.
Clarissa




--- On Tue, 5/17/11, Brandon Hoult <bhoult@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Brandon Hoult <bhoult@gmail.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Water permeable paint for papercrete.
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 4:52 PM


 

I found that if I sprayed water on the outside of my papercrete dome on a warm dry day that the temperature on the inside would drop substantially from evaporative cooling. I was planning on painting it at some point to seal it, but this may be too big an advantage to ignore.

The problem is that I can find very little info on water permeable paints. There is a lot on vapor permeable paint, but that will not really help with this application as I want the water to soak in. I may just leave it unpainted, but it looks kind of grey and blotchy so it would be nice if I could even out the color at least. Also I want it to be a slightly dark color so that it blends in to the woods a bit.

Things I am looking into are whitewash, milk paint, tempera and colored chalk powder. Any thoughts?




--
"If you give yourself fully to this moment the next moment will turn out just right."

- Sequoyah Trueblood




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___