Monday, December 1, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Horizontal Presses vs Vertical

At 08:27 AM 12/1/2008 -0800, you wrote:

Just a thought but are you not going to lose the main reason pc works so well by compressing it. The interlocking fibers and the way the fibers take coatings (lime, cement, ash and such) wouldn't you be crushing and breaking most of the coating off plus losing the bond? Or are the rice hulls and sawdust acting different with the bonding action?
Ken

--- On Mon, 12/1/08, smt460 <smt460@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: smt460 <smt460@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Horizontal Presses vs Vertical
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 7:47 AM


Hi what about using the truck box to press panels,line the bottom  with puck board and devise a way for it to slid out. Clair    --  In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Janoahsh" <janoahsh@...> wrote: > > WOW, talk about overkill, a multi stage dump truck ram could  probably > compress wall panels. And only work a few inches of it. >  > I like it! >  > Rice hull fly ash is one of the best pozzelons available and can be  mixed as > 60 or more % replacement for cement be stronger and more  resilient. >  > The Ferrocement Net discussion group Archives have some information  on wood > and sawdust cement composites, and I have a few files saved on my  hard > drives. >  >  It has lots of merit but is another whole field of study not much  different > than papercrete.  Fresh Saw dust and wood chips need to be aged or  leached. >  > I believe you can use a sand clay soil and rice hull fly ash to  make your > own cement without Portland but haven't had time to  try it yet.   What you > get from the rice Hull ash is reactive silica's that can combine  with the > silica's and minerals in your clay soils to form molecular bonds  along with > water as a catalyst which in the right proportions can form a  useful mortar > reinforced with wood fibers.  Strength, insulation, fire  resistance, and > other characteristics vary by constituent percentages. >  > Pure pozzelon reactions are much slower than Portland cement  reactions but > can be ultimately stronger.     >    Overkill is always more fun! 

I just have access to one of those old trucks for free. I can get it free , it may be a bit much though. I am talking about a 2 ton dump truck. I might be able to salvage one of a one ton that would be smaller .
I do not have access to Rice Hull ash , just fly ash from the TVA plants.  I am still not sold on papercrete yet ,having heard of people who lost everything trying to use it.  There are some uses for it I can see but it will never become a mainstream material until it can be produced in uniform blocks.

So far I don't see how to do that except with a press. Apparently it is not so easy as I get no response from the living in paper website when I ask them if they are ready to market their press yet.  Has anyone tried drying the paper and mixing it with soil? It seems a 50/50 mix of paper and earth in a compressed earth block would be a great compromise. If it gave you  half the insulation of papercrete and half the thermal flywheel effect of ceb it would work for me.and might be easier to get approved.  Perception is reality in some cases. You can tell people it does not matter the blocks are irregular but it does.
Not because they are not viable but because the perception is that the quality is poor.

My main focus is to make blocks to build earth ovens from. I think I can use the Rocket Stove technology combined with an mudbrick oven that would be super efficient and not have to be swept every time you use it.. Here in Tennessee many people are still using electric heat while the forest floor is littered with the wood the loggers left behind.  I want to build a really cool outdoor wood heater that will bake bread and pizza a well as heat the house and provide hot water.
I have built one for myself  but it is far from efficient.
The mudbricks would shorten the time to build the ovens by weeks and eliminate the purchase of firebricks. I have a creek with the worlds best clay for that purpose 1000 feet from my door.  . Also I am told  they can be waterproofed enough to make pavers a lot cheaper than with cement .If you can make good quality driveway pavers competitive at all with poured concrete it will sell.

To me the way I would go as far as houses would be either to use rice hulls in a modified stick frame ,12" walls, or a double layer ceb wall with papercrete poured between it for insulation. That was you would have the thermal mass and the insulation .

   

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___