Monday, December 1, 2008

[papercreters] Horizontal Presses vs Vertical

From my understanding the advantage of a horizontal press is it
compresses from the edge of the block and therefore gives a consistent
thickness so dry stacking is possible. Does anyone know why a vertical
press could not do the same thing? I could build it horizontally but I
don't see why I need to as long as the molds and the piston are
designed to guarantee consitent thickness by compressing from the
edge or the end of the block..
I am trying to engineer a small hydraulic or air over hydraulic press.
If I get serious about a big high production press I was thinking
about rebuilding the hydraulic pump and cylinder from an old Chevy
dump truck
to use. The power would be great enough to compress a half a dozen
blocks at one time or one huge one. I was thinking that I could could
make the big blocks to sell the states for temporary road construction
barriers.
What they use now is concrete or plastic barriers {filled w/water}
which are certainly not real green and I have easy access to paper and
a hammer mill, sawdust wood chips,, fly ash and rice hulls and could
make them 1/2 the weight of the concrete and a whole lot more giving
in case of impact than the concrete.

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/