Friday, March 30, 2018

Re: [papercreters] Re: flyash



Hello Michael
Hope all is going well for you. I am not familiar with Odem is it near Beeville?

Thanks you know it was a long time coming.

I used a 2, tall form. In an attempt to keep a continuous operation and minimize form material. i set forms to do half the house. For the half I set up forms to make 3 sections. We poured section one, let it set while we poured section 2 and raised section 1 while we poured section 3. each section took a day to pour.

Shrinkage is a real problem. We would fill the form by the time we got to the end of the pour the first part dropped by 1/3. It would take a bout 3 passes to get the form full. Still next day would be some shrinkage plus curl at the top. maybe you can see all that in the photo. Good news a skim cot goes on pretty easy. But still the whole wall has to be skimmed out.

I made a lot of block that i ended up pouring  in the wall. Where we used block shrinkage was not as bad. Quality of block made laying block not a good option.

I made the block adobe style which does not work well for papercrete. I found to get a good block I had to form the bottom as well as the sides. This also slowed the rate that the water could get out of the block and the block stayed to a more uniform size.

So i do not know if a block wall would need a skim coat. There are so many variables it is hard to say which approach requires most effort and cost.

Good luck with your project. I did have on serious problem with production. I averaged about 500 cubic feet per rear end in the tow mixer. for my 2000 cubic feet I changed out the rear end  4 times. That was a problem!



On Thursday, March 29, 2018, 6:59:26 PM CDT, michael joyce mojojoyce@yahoo.com [papercreters] <papercreters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

Hello Murry, Im getting ready to build sound wall to stop traffic noise  with slip mold . was curious how long did you wait between lifts.. congrats on your accomplishment.  Ive moved to Odem just north of Corpus n  later plan to add papercrete building to garage for rental home

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 7:37:23 AM CDT, Murry Holley murry.holley@yahoo.com [papercreters] <papercreters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:




Hello Kim
Hope things are going well on your project. I finally finished my Papercrete just before Thanksgiving. All and all it was about 2,000 cubic feet to pour. I used a slip form. We poured new Papercrete walls against our existing Mobil home. W' e have free standing Papercrete at the addition. I have enclosed a picture of the form system and the finished pour. I still have to do the skim coat and waterproofing coat.

To the Flyash issue, I have not heard of flyash as a stand alone binder. Typically in concrete it is used as a supplement to cement to reduce the amount of cement required.

Before i began construction on our house i built a barn as my testing lab.  for my initial work I tried to maximize paper and minimize binder.  I did a mix with lime and wood ash that was very promising. The logistics of trying to get that much ash mad it seem like more than I could manage.

The mix i test was ( by weight)
paper     28%
clay        40%
Wood ash 19%
lime         13%
This was a stronger product than what i was getting with what I thought was comparable with cement. When I finally got a mix that I thought was what i need i got some compression tests. Compression strength was way too low.

Based on my final cement mix I think you can test a mix with these proportions ( by weight)
Paper newsprint)     14%
Clay                        15%
Sand                        27%
Ash                        27%
Lime                     17%

Please let me know what you come up with.

Best
Murry Holley








__._,_.___

Posted by: Murry Holley <murry.holley@yahoo.com>



__,_._,___