Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Update on my project



If I were doing a Hogan I think Judith's slip form methods would work great. You end up with a monolithic structure since added layers bond to the lower layers. There is a lot to be said for only handing your pc once after it is mixed. Park the mixer next to the forms and pump it in, you can't get much easier than that.

Unless you plan on doing blocks by driving over a brick mold, a good pump is probably about the second most important equipment you can get for pc, right after the mixer. You can fill forms by bucket and it is a lot cheaper than Gold's Gym, but I'll pass when I can  : )

When I tried AE I put about a pint into maybe 3 gallons of pc, and that was probably way too much. I don't think you need to make black pc to get a seal. I never tried other ratios, but am interested in what your tests reveal. Another bit of information that would be useful is how well pc with AE bonds to other layers and/or mortar.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  

On 11/9/2011 9:17 AM, ken winston caine wrote:
  --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Othello English <ifilmswest@...> wrote: 
 Interesting post...several Hogans where I'm at...thinking of building one.  Question - what   method and PC to AE mix ratio do you use? 
 Am still experimenting with that. Will report what works best for me once I'm pretty sure I've discovered that. However, I'm not using a traditional papercrete recipe. For instance, in current experimental mixes, I'm using no portland.   Do believe that the AE portion can be relatively low (and thus, not prohibitively expensive), but don't have a ratio to offer yet.   


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___