Sunday, October 4, 2009

RE: [papercreters] More Gathering Pictures



Ev was our official photographer and she did a terrific job.

Yes, apparently the differential had a bit of water in it. Spaceman did me a great service getting it drained and refilled. You can see by the pics that the mixer was not built with the forethought to changing the oil, and I dropped the ball by not providing a flexible tube or long-spouted funnel. We had to flip the whole thing over to put the new oil in. All the teeth were in good shape and the mixer is performing excellently.

Regarding ball vs chute issue: They each have their pros and cons. With the chute you can disburse a small amount of slurry and then close the chute. With the ball, once it's out it's out which means you have to use all the slurry at that time. This is fine if you're pouring directly into the form but not if you are putting the slurry into 5 gal buckets to be poured into the high forms. I will say though that my mixer is more user friendly when it comes to getting the slurry out when you get to the end of it and have to tip the mixer up to get the last of it. Lex's mixer is a tank that has a small opening at the top which is great for keeping the mix from sloshing out as you drive around but a little tricky when you are reaching into it to get a bucket of slurry. Mine is a stock tank with a plywood lid (now half broken off) shallow with straight sides. When I get down to about 1/2 capacity I unhook the tongue and tip the mixer up. I can reach right in there with a small bucket and get the slurry out easily. I like the idea of the elephant trunk and would definitely try in on my next mixer. I would really like to see one in person as I'm not sure how it's fastened. It does seem to solve the exit problem. One more thing about the chute - it had to be banged very hard with a sledge hammer to raise and lower it. I'm not sure I would have the strength it takes. I'm really happy with my soccer ball and don't see any reaon to change it except for the increased control you get with the elephant trunk. I would be interested to hear what others are using. I'm sure there are some very imaginative things out there.

I have a lot of ideas for how to improve papercreting and make it less strenuous. I'll share these as they take shape.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: picknick@sympatico.ca
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:02:23 -0400
Subject: RE: [papercreters] More Gathering Pictures

 

Excellent pics Evelyn,  looks like a good time was had by all and for sure nobody starved unless by choice.  The area adobe tour was also appreciated thank you.  Judith I see the good folk did a little service work on your diff what did they find?  Any water in it?  The teeth don't look to bad from the pictures but what can a picture really show.

 

A question for the group how did the sliding door on the mixer compare to the ball in the spigot?  IF you were planning to build a mixer today which would you prefer and why?  Maybe also discuss the pros and cons of the inner tube trunk if any of you have had experience with that method.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Nick (still bummed cause I didn't get down there)

 

P.S.  I think there is a ceramic mosque in that neck of the woods that I would also like a peak at if anyone from down there has any pictures.

 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Spaceman
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:18 AM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] More Gathering Pictures

 

 

Evelyn took a bucket full of pictures at the gathering, and gave me a copy. I put a photo album at
http://starship-enterprises.net/pcgathering1/evelynspix/
for any and all who are interested. There are no captions, so wysiwyg. These are reduced in size for web, if you need a full res picture let me know.

spaceman




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___