Wednesday, October 7, 2009

[papercreters] Re: treated lunber

Ernie, I've been testing my siding stones to see if termites would
bother them. I've been leaving them directly on the ground. The ones
with more cement in the mix are doing great, the ones that are mixed
with more paper pulp and less cement, sad to say, when I turned them
over after a little wet spell, I saw termites coming out of the backs of
the stones, mind you I had nothing in the mix to prevent them, like
borax, or boric acid, it was just paperpulp and a little cement like
earlier discussions suggested. My Cemcell Adobe mix which is 3/2/1 had
no infestation, side by side with the infested ones. I also have seen
termites skim the surface of cedar, redwood and even copper treated wood
to get to something they like better and usually the thing they like
better is or has been wet, that skim trail is usually their mud tunnel
which I have even seen up the side of a concrete block or stem wall.

Bob the builder--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "eepjr24"
<eepjr24@...> wrote:
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "countryatheartok" criswells.ok@
wrote:
> >
> > I probably was thinking of the old arsenic treated lumber, the new
stuff is copper treated.
> <snip>
> > and would prevent termites from reaching the rafters (I've seen
> > this happen in older stick built homes that had a roof leak) Thanks
> > for you input.
>
> I have never seen termites eat either arsenic or creosote treated
lumber. I have seen them eat copper treated for a short distance to get
to something tasty like kiln dried pine (happened in a wall in my
garage). I have even seen them eat Cypress and Cedar, but again only
until they had something better to chew on.
>
> And back on topic directly: In spite of having direct ground contact
for several years in a termite prone area (Orlando, FL area) I have
never seen a termite in my papercrete.
>
> - Ernie
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/