Wednesday, October 7, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Just posted some new photos of my shredded cardboard samples

Yes, the finer shred requires very little soaking, I've even used it
unsoaked, just add water and blend, I can't really tell the difference,
except if I don't soak it some, it takes a little longer to blend but
we're only talking about a minute or two. The courser shred does
require overnight soaking and then it blends very fast. And yes I think
all papercrete walls should be sealed although the one I built in my
photos has not been sealed yet and we've had some pretty good rains and
it's held up very well, but I will stucco it with cement and sand and
maybe a finish coat of paint, not sure about the paint yet, I may just
color the cement and sand mixture.

Bob the builder


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Vollmer <evelynanne8@...>
wrote:
>
> So what you are saying is because you shred the cardboard it sets up
faster?
> I understand that it depends on the mix and everyone has developed
their own
> special mix. When shredded the individual bits are soaked faster and
> probably more complete and that would make for a more uniformed look
to the
> final product. My thought is that even after you have completed the
wall (or
> whatever it is that you are making) there would still be a need to
cover it
> with something to prevent water absorption.
>
> I was surprised with the slurry that we made at Judiths, at first we
were
> soaking the cardboard and then putting it in the tow mixer. After
awhile we
> were just throwing in cardboard without being soaked as you saw in the
> photos. What surprised me was after the truck made it's round it was
mixed
> pretty well and looked good but perhaps it's because Judith likes her
slurry
> pretty wet? After pouring the first level (I will mention that on that
first
> level we would use 5 gallons of latex paint per tow mixer because she
felt
> that it would be a better water bearer, which to me is a good idea)
the next
> day the slurry on that level was still quite wet but I assume that was
> because of the paint and a wet slurry. Well I got off my point of
topic. I
> am trying to figure out if shred the cardboard is better? It seems
that
> spaceman is looking into a shredder so perhaps this extra step is
something
> to consider?
>
> I do believe that this topic has been discussed before
> but.................After reading this I realize I am
rambling......since
> landing there at home I've been working by bu!! off till right now...I
have
> the next four days off and can finally unpack!
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM, countryatheartok criswells.ok@...
> > wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >
> > I know most of you will think I'm crazy for shredding cardboard, you
> > probably think it takes for ever. It does take a while but the end
> > results are great. I can take the shreds and in less than 1 minute
have
> > very fine paper pulp, I just add my cement to that mix a little
longer,
> > then add my clay or sand or a combination of both and its ready to T
> > Lock. I also up loaded an old file of a T Lock that is about 8' long
and
> > you can see how the skirt is supported by the T locks up to 25'
long.
> > Much like Ron & Doris slipforms being supported by their bar clamps.
> > After they pour their slipform and it sets up, they remove their bar
> > clamps and fill the resulting holes with "Foam in a can". After I
pour
> > my T Lock Blox, I remove the skirt and then remove the T Lock forms
and
> > set them on top of the next row, and reattach the skirt. I usually
put a
> > T Lock form at one end and another at the other end and then attach
the
> > skirt and then install all the other T Lock forms in between.
> >
> > Bob the builder
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Chinese herbals for the Western Mind
> www.ozbotanicals.com
> Skype~eve8mon
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/