Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Restoration of old house

slurryguy
I am not trying to lift the whole house like you did, I am only putting
it back in its original position. I am doing it one step at a time
starting at the lowest part. I will only know for sure it this works,
when I start doing it all the way around. I will need a helper to do
this. Today I will get supplies and run errands, tomorrow we will start
to lift it back in place, brace it up, pull it in and fix the
foundation, I hope. This house has already been declared unrepairable
by Olshan a foundation repair company, so I have nothing to loose.
Thanks again for all the thinking.

Hal

slurryguy wrote:
> Please be extraordinarily careful. This is potentially dangerous
> work. Use any of my fuzzy memories at your own risk.
>
> I also want to clarify that we didn't really lift the house a section
> at a time. We raised the entire house as one unit. We lifted a
> small area by a small amount, and them moved to the next area and
> lifted it a small amount and moved on.
>
> Then we went back to the starting point and lifted it a small amount
> again and went through the whole pattern again. It is very time
> consuming and tedious work.
>
> If you try to lift just part of a building by more than a half inch
> or so, you'll cause a large amount of damage. You'll pull the house
> apart. Nails will pull out. Studs and joists will fracture. Not
> pretty stuff.
>
> Go small increments. Go slow. Cover the entire house. Then
> repeat.
>
> Constantly be inspecting everything after each small lift. Look for
> small problems developing before they grow into big problems. Yes,
> inspect the jacks and cribbing, but also inspect the entire house.
> Watch the roof and rafter connections. Small movements near the
> foundation can become large movements higher up.
>
> Your level is your friend. Constantly be watching how much things
> are changing EVERYWHERE in the building. Not just the area you are
> currently working on.
>
> Like I said in a previous post. I wouldn't attempt a similar
> procedure today. I would use a big steel beam and lift the building
> as a unit.
>
> I wish you well in your efforts.
>
> ======================
>
> Hal wrote:
>
> :-D
> slurryguy,
>
> Your memory is pretty good. I found after uncovering a 4 inch wide
> section were the most sinking took place that the house is not
> lagged, at least not on the corner. I managed to get a farm jack
> under a section and raised it up. Your idea has simplified my
> plan. I think I can go around the house raising it one section at a
> time, then pull it in and pour a new footing under it. I will drill
> into the slab where the new footing is going and drive rebar into it
> and then run some horizontal piece of rebar above that. I am not
> sure how I can use the papercrete. I know filling the walls with
> cellulose insulation would be easy, but I want to go one step further
> and thicken the walls so I have say R35.
>
> I bought 2 ranch jacks from Harbor Freight and they were only $30
> each. I jacked one section up with ease. so the plan is starting to
> jell.
>
> Hal
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/