Tuesday, July 1, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Restoration of old house

Please be extraordinarily careful. This is potentially dangerous
work. Use any of my fuzzy memories at your own risk.

I also want to clarify that we didn't really lift the house a section
at a time. We raised the entire house as one unit. We lifted a
small area by a small amount, and them moved to the next area and
lifted it a small amount and moved on.

Then we went back to the starting point and lifted it a small amount
again and went through the whole pattern again. It is very time
consuming and tedious work.

If you try to lift just part of a building by more than a half inch
or so, you'll cause a large amount of damage. You'll pull the house
apart. Nails will pull out. Studs and joists will fracture. Not
pretty stuff.

Go small increments. Go slow. Cover the entire house. Then
repeat.

Constantly be inspecting everything after each small lift. Look for
small problems developing before they grow into big problems. Yes,
inspect the jacks and cribbing, but also inspect the entire house.
Watch the roof and rafter connections. Small movements near the
foundation can become large movements higher up.

Your level is your friend. Constantly be watching how much things
are changing EVERYWHERE in the building. Not just the area you are
currently working on.

Like I said in a previous post. I wouldn't attempt a similar
procedure today. I would use a big steel beam and lift the building
as a unit.

I wish you well in your efforts.

======================

Hal wrote:

:-D
slurryguy,

Your memory is pretty good. I found after uncovering a 4 inch wide
section were the most sinking took place that the house is not
lagged, at least not on the corner. I managed to get a farm jack
under a section and raised it up. Your idea has simplified my
plan. I think I can go around the house raising it one section at a
time, then pull it in and pour a new footing under it. I will drill
into the slab where the new footing is going and drive rebar into it
and then run some horizontal piece of rebar above that. I am not
sure how I can use the papercrete. I know filling the walls with
cellulose insulation would be easy, but I want to go one step further
and thicken the walls so I have say R35.

I bought 2 ranch jacks from Harbor Freight and they were only $30
each. I jacked one section up with ease. so the plan is starting to
jell.

Hal


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/