Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete as rigid insulation?

Thanks! At some point I need to replace the insulation in the floor of my house, as mice and other pests have been in it and have packed down the fiberglass until it's close to worthless. I'll need to install a vapor barrier too.

Fiberglass would certainly work (again), but I suspect I'd eventually run into the same problems all over, so I'm considering other options. Rigid foam is one, but it would be pretty expensive to do. Papercrete could be a possibility, but I'd have to cast the panels outside the crawlspace and bring them in because I don't think there's enough room down there to spray it.

Greg

----- Original Message ----

From: Ernie Phelps <eepjr24@gmail.com>

To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:51:55 AM

Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete as rigid insulation?

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, Greg House <ghunicycle@ ...>

wrote:

>

> Since papercrete has some insulating value, do you think it'd be

> effective to use in place of rigid foam type insulation? Perhaps a

> a paper-rich mix to save weight and cost?

I place to put it in the walls of the wood frame portion of my

house, long term. Specifically, the garage, where I had to jack the

roof and rebuild a wall after the previous owner found and hid

termite damage in that wall. Wish I had known about PC back then,

but it will get done one of these days.

I will also be using a thick layer of low cement borax supplemented

stucco (brown / scratch coat) on the front of my house with a higher

cement finish coat. All of that, once I can build some other stuff

and convince the wife that PC can look like anything I want, not

just grey goo. heheh

> If so, any ideas on how well it'd insulate? Would it be resistant

> to insects/vermin?

SG answered this for you, but I will second his suppositions that

Borax, lime or other ingredients would be important to deter

insects / vermin. And that the higher values would probably best be

achieved by simply increasing the thickness of the layer. More

economical, I suspect as well.

- Ernie



____________________________________________________________________________________
Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/